Sunday, October 21, 2012

How my political news consumption has changed

With the 2012 presidential election just weeks away, I realized that I am definitely more informed about each candidate and the news regarding politics than I have ever been before. I watched about three quarters of the debate last week in-between finishing up some homework and I can honestly say that this is the second political debate that I have watched in my life. I just recently discovered an interest in politics this semester. This, I think, is due to the fact that I am required to be aware and up-to-date on the news  in both of the journalism classes that I am enrolled in this semester. Surprisingly, I actually enjoy being involved in a pivotal election year because I have an understanding of what's going on in politics and what it all means. 

In the past, my severe dislike for politics, I now realize, was due to my ignorance. Because I had no idea what was new and newsworthy, or what each candidate advocated, I didn't care to inform myself. Now, as a student in journalism, I feel it is my duty to act as a body of information regarding current happenings. I have to admit that I also enjoy the subtle sense of empowerment that comes with being more informed with current political news than many Americans, and myself in the past. What initially caused me to start immersing myself daily in the news, and the news of politics, were the assignments I received to report on or analyze these events. I feel that the hype of the election in the world of news media and journalism has inspired me to interest myself in what so many others are concerned with. I also have seized the opportunity to write, or consider, multiple news stories about the election and debates. This has forced me to pay attention to the news and consequently broadened my view on politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment