Over
the past week and a half, I have been making more of an effort to submerse
myself in current news via multiple different media outlets. Friday
morning, I was watching Boston News 7 WHDH when I first heard of the fungal
meningitis outbreak. The report was from a Merrimack, N.H. when New England
Pain Clinics learned that their patients’ injections contained the deadly
strain of meningitis. At the time, only five had died and 35 remained sick from
the viral outbreak in six states. According to the written report on the news
channel’s website, the drugs are shipped to New Hampshire pain care clinics
from New England Compounding Center in Framingham where the vials are suspected
to be contaminated. The NECC shut down operations after learning about the contamination
but by that time, the center had already shipped more than 17,000 vials across
the country.
In
today’s news, the situation has worsened; according a Reuters story that ran
in the New York Times. iPhone App. The update, out of Nashville, Tennessee,
reported that health officials discovered an additional 27 cases of the fungal
meningitis outbreak. There are now seven reported deaths and 91 infected in
nine states; two more deaths, 56 more infected patients, and three more
infected states than reported on Friday. By following this report and keeping up
with the news online and on television, I am staying well informed on the state
of affairs concerning national disease control.
No comments:
Post a Comment