At this point in my study of journalism, I am beginning to feel like a
legitimate journalist. I am progressively becoming more comfortable with the
journalistic process of interviewing people for stories, contacting sources, and
figuring out how to write stories as well as learning from the edits made to previous
class submissions. Since this is the first semster that I am in a course that pertains
specifically to the set of skills that I will be utilizing on a daily basis as
a journalist, I am eager to take in all that I can and apply what I learn from
class, the textbook, and from edits. I feel that the most useful part of
learning to be a successful journalist is writing stories that are not
successful and conferencing about what was wrong and how to do it right for
next time. This hands on practice is incredibly helpful for me to gain
knowledge about what works in a story or an interview and what does not. I also
feel like a journalist because I am writing stories on a weekly basis and
meeting a deadline. I have noticed that I am constantly on the hunt for story
ideas and making contact with sources and planning ahead. I feel that this
course is preparing the students for the reality of journalism because we are
producing many different stories on a weekly basis to meet a deadline. I feel
that I am also learning a lot from this because I am learning how to budget my
time to research and contact sources early and follow up with them before the deadlide.
This course is preparing me to learn what it is like for a journalist to recieve
a lead on a story then go out and report on it, or, conduct research, contact
sources, and attend a scheduled event. I approach each week with the enthusiasm
that I might find a newsworthy topic to report on and turn in for editing more
than a few times a semester, as with long-form writing courses. I feel
passionate about being a journalist and embracing the "character"
that I undertake while reporting. I appreciate that I am learning to disregard
my shyness and apprehension about being rejected to be able to get the facts
about a story. I look forward to watching myself progress and become more
comfortable as a prominent journalist in terms of writing, interracting with
sources and other important figures, and organization.
No comments:
Post a Comment